Monday, June 2, 2008

Eating

***An addendum to this post...
Maybe the way I described what happened last week with dinnertime was a little on the dramatic side. When I "sent her to bed hungry," that means she chose to only drink her milk and eat whatever carbohydrate we were having (e.g. rice, corn, etc.) She ate no protein. Now, we know that our bodies burn through carbohydrates very quickly, and that they do not provide enough nutrition to keep us full through the night. I "sent her to bed hungry" means I made no further attempt to get her to eat protein other than that which was on her plate. What I have been guilty of doing in the past is giving her yogurt after her meal to make sure she'll stay full longer. That's it. I can assure you there was nothing cruel or unusual about it.

Here are the results of my little survey:
The kid(s) eat what we eat. Period. 3 (33%)

I give the kid(s) what we're eating, but if they don't like it, I give them something else. 5 (55%)

I give the kid(s) whatever they like. Hey, a hot dog every night never hurt anyone. 1 (11%)

You're supposed to feed them??! 0 (0%) (Well, that's a relief!)

So, I want so badly to be an A, but this week I'm more like a C. Here's the deal...90% of the time, Eleanor won't eat what we're eating. It frustrates me to no end. I mean, I'm not asking her to eat hot wings. I try to make sure what we're having is appropriate for her, or I fix a special portion for her with less spices or onions or whatever. But she won't eat it. Most of the time, we can get her to try a bite, but then she'll spit it out, which really makes me even more frustrated because it's disgusting and uncalled-for. Last week, I decided I was putting my foot down, which resulted in sending one little girl to bed hungry five nights in a row. That, in turn, resulted in one hungry little girl waking up super-duper early and demanding milk.

So, last night she had a hot dog and tonight she had chicken nuggets. Both nights we were having something I knew she wasn't going to eat, and I didn't feel like wasting any of it by having her squish it between her little fingers or by the aforementioned spitting out. I did give her the same side items...she just didn't have the same main dish.

I really want her to grow up willing to try new foods (this coming from the queen of picky!) and eat whatever is put in front of her. Ughhh....

Next to bathtime (don't even get me started), dinnertime is the most frustating part of our day! Did I already say UGHHHH?!!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I think all kiddos go through this stage.  I'll be honest I answered that my kids eat what we eat.  And that is true about 95% of the time.  But I've always done it.  And usually she gets left-overs for lunch the next day.  Maybe I just don't have a picky little girl?  Not sure, but hang in there and keep at it.  Have you tried any receipes that you "hide" the veggies?  Also, I make pretty plain stuff... nothing fancy for us.  You know chicken, veggies, spaghetti, etc. 

GG said...

I think this is just something we all had to go thru and in time, it will get better. I hate to see a little one go to bed hungry and I know she has to learn to eat, but have you ever tried disguising veggies? Mark's aunt Linda used to put spinach or green beans ground up or just about all green veggies, in her spaghetti sauce and her 3 boys just loved it! You might try talking a lot to Jet about how good something is in front of her and sometimes they can get curious enough with you both bragging on it, that she just might try it. It will be slow-going but it would be better than going to bed hungry.

starfitch said...

Oh, that is very frustrating. Hopefully it's just a phase of her trying to push her boundaries and soon she'll be back to a happy eater. Keep offering it and be firm in asking her to try it. I hope it gets better!

Vicki said...

Try not to stress too much over this. I know that's easier said than done, but she will pick up on your frustration and mealtime will get to be a dreaded thing for the whole family.

I really believe she is too young to be reasoned with just yet. Give it some time and just try to get food in her belly. Keep offering new foods, she will grow out of this.
Why mothers get gray!! :)

Kimberly said...

I just have missed this post earlier. Your addendum made me chuckle b/c tonight Sophie went to bed after eating some mac and cheese and a cupcake. Nice! I couldn't tell you the number of hotdogs that Sophie has had in her short little life. But hey, why sweat the small stuff.

Janice said...

This is a constant struggle in our household everyday. I try to give the kids whatever we're eating but most of the time they end up not eating it (mostly Cameron) and I am always afraid they'll go to bed hungry so they'll eat mac & cheese, hot dogs, chicken, nuggets, etc. Cameron has gotten soooo picky he won't even eat toast!!! I really think it's a phase because he used to eat anything and everything. The kids' pediatrician said to keep offering them new, healthy foods all the time - this is hard for me since I am no cook but hopefully it works because I have yet to see it! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty amazing she eats the same veggies and side dishes, and it's the protein you are struggling with. Or is it the veggies? From the world's pickiest eater (I can count the green veggies I eat on one hand), I honestly think that when my parents "forced" me to eat things, it just made me more determined never to like them. I think it's solid advice to keep offering her new things, but let her explore on her own. Then she won't be doing it at 21 going "Oh, grilled fish is good! Wow!"

Shana-Lynn said...

Oh boy, that does sound frustrating. Hang in there, I hope things get a little easier and I hope it is just a stage. Just keep offering her healthy things, even if she won't try it, one day she may surprise you.