Thursday, May 22, 2008

Top ten

Remember the last time I got out the potty? Long story short, I put the potty away because I was completely disgusted by seeing poo-poo in that little plastic cup. Well, Eleanor kept asking to go "Poo-poo poddy," so I decided we'd give it another whirl.

Here are the top ten reasons why I'm 90 percent sure that today was the first and last day of official potty training at our house...

10. I want to leave the house at some point in the next year.
9. I don't want to be the one to single-handedly destroy the environment by washing 18 billion loads of tiny little panties a day.
8. There's something very wrong with feeding my baby chocolate chips as she poops. I may never eat another chocolate chip as long as I live. (Okay, it's not that serious.)
7. 'Uh-oh, Mommy. Water.' Yes, sweet girl, it is water...sort of.
6. No nap= no fun.
5. I'm too old and out-of-shape to follow a one-year-old around the house all day. Those little boogers are quick and BUSY!
4. 'No, Mommy. ELMO's potty.' She just insisted that Elmo keep drinking water and then using the potty, which meant she placed him on the potty and went, 'Ssssssss.'
3. The closest thing we got to success with number one was Eleanor climbing onto the potty and peeing all by herself. Great, right? Well, she skipped that whole part where you pull down your panties. (Yes, she still got the chocolate chips. Who could say no to that effort?)
2. 'Mommy, sad?' I tried SO hard to praise, praise, praise, and not show any frustration at all, but there were more accidents than I could keep track of, and that's a whole lot of mess to clean up.
1. There are worse places for poo-poo than in a plastic cup. One...hardwood. Two...the rug.

Okay, seriously, Eleanor did a PHENOMENAL job for her first day...5 tee-tees (2 initiated by her and 3 caught mid-stream) and 2 poo-poos on the potty. But, it was a very hard and stressful day for both of us, and I don't think either of us felt very good about it. If she were older, I'm sure we'd just endure, but, at this point, I think it may be best just to wait.

And the reason I'll miss pottying until we try again...those tiny buns in those tiny panties!

7 comments:

Angela said...

Awww....what a day! Yeah...potty training is tough. Such a cute little bun she has though. :)

GG said...

I love those little buns! But the older she gets, the easier it will be. Ask her MiMi!

Janice said...

Tell me about it! I am beyond stressed out because Cameron is soooooooo hard to potty train and I have until August to get him ready or he can't go to pre-school!

Love the picture!

starfitch said...

Oh dear. Well, kudos to you for trying it again! I think you have many valid points. I know Marielle isn't 100% ready because if we sit her on the potty sometimes she pees and sometimes she asks for a diaper. :-)

Shana-Lynn said...

I could write a book about our experience, but seriously, just follow Eleanor's cues, that is what ultimately worked with Aubree. It was on her own when she decided to finally commit to not wearing diapers much. Had I pushed her more, she could have done it earlier, but I didn't want to be stuck at home 24/7 until she was able to and didn't want us to get too stressed out about it, that wasn't worth it to me. We took it very slow and used M&M's as treats. She rarely even asks for them anymore. I still put her in a diaper at night and when we go out "just in case", but she has been staying dry during those times for a while now. It can be a stressful time and if you have the time to just go slow and at her pace, that would be wonderful, I think. You have to do what works for you both though.

And it's funny, Aubree calls it "pee pee poddy" and "poo poo poddy"
too.

Lisa said...

You sound like me. I've thrown the towel in. While I think Grace is about 90% ready to potty train, I'm not :)

It's a lot of work. I need to find a week where I plan to stay home all week and do nothing else but live in the bathroom.

GG said...

Have you tried her in the pull-up diapers? Just wish we had had them when my 2 were being trained!