Thursday, September 20, 2007

How to take away a pacifier

Or not. I tried. And failed. I totally caved at bedtime, and I'm pretty sure anyone would have if they'd heard the screaming coming from that precious baby's room. She has never screamed like that before, and I hope she never does again. It didn't even sound like her. It sounded like, well, it sounded like if someone stepped on ten cats' tails at once while wearing a dog costume and squirting them with a waterhose. Not pretty.

My first strategy was the ol' cut-the-tip-off plan. That really ticked her off. She threw her pacies at me (quite an arm for a twelve-month-old) more than once. She also went the whole day with no nap. So, by bedtime we were both very tired and very grouchy. This time, I took the pacies out of her crib. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Wrong-o. She launched into that whole screaming thing again. This is a kid who usually lies right down without a peep. Even if she's not tired, she'll play in her bed for up to an hour. So, you can imagine my dismay at this evening's events. After a quick phone call to my friend Laura (who told me exactly what I wanted to hear) for a little reassurance, I marched right into her room and gave her a pacie. Good thing I saved one, and only one, for an emergency such as this. If I hadn't, I'd be at the store right now toting a screaming baby in her puppy dog PJ's under one arm while searching frantically for a Gerber Nuk Size 2 with a latex nipple. Instead, I am typing this little post as my baby sleeps oh-so peacefully away in her comfy crib.

My new strategy- wait until she's two. Or three. Or seven. Or eighteen. Wait...there's no way she'd use it at college, right?

And to deter you from making any unkind comment about my kid still using a pacie to go to sleep, I went looking for pictures of Eleanor looking super cute with one in her mouth. All I could find were these...the first one is the day after she came home from the hospital (that's a preemie hat and a preemie pacie) and the second one is her with my dad (her Pop) when she was two and a half months old.



12 comments:

Vicki said...

A pacie's a lot better than a thumb and if she needs it that much it's OK. My heart breaks to think about her screaming like that. I would have given it to her too.

starfitch said...

I'll tell you what I'm telling myself about the preschool situation. Do what is right for you and for Eleanor. She won't use it forever and you might just need a new approach. I can't let little ones scream either.

p.s. She was so tiny! How early was she?

Shana-Lynn said...

I would have TOTALLY given in to her too. You did the right thing. Good luck with coming up with a new plan, hopefully before she goes off to college;-)

Kimberly said...

Well I'm all ears for something to work in that department. Soph gets her paci at bedtime only and she totally flips out when she doesn't have it. I know that Janice took her little boys away at 2 by cutting the tip off. I may try that in a few months.

Robin said...

Aww....look how big that pacifier is compared to her in the first picture!

Janice said...

Meagn, this is exactly why I waited until Cameron was 2. I couldn't bear for him to not get a good night's sleep - and he's the type who used to have two 2-hour naps! I think when I cut the tip off the paci he was able to understand better because he was older.

You just have to do what's best for you and Eleanor. I would've done the same exact thing as you. :-)

Megan said...

Jessica- She was five weeks early. She weighed 5 lbs. 2 oz. at birth and 4 lbs. 7 oz. when we took her home three days later. Scary!

Kimberly- I'm seriously just giving up until Eleanor's 2. I'm telling myself exactly what Janice said on here-that she'll understand better when she's older.

She seemed genuinely scared to go to bed without her pacies. When she saw that they weren't in her bed, she clutched me so tight, I could barely lay her down. Very sad. I think I'm traumatized.
I just got back from buying more pacies.

AND I can't remember why yesterday I woke up and thought it was so important that she not use a pacie. She only uses it when she's in her bed anyway.

Mommy mistake #972, and I'm sure there will be many more!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with MiMi. When she gets a little older and can understand what you are saying, then you can talk to her about it. I'm so glad you gave it back to her. I couldn't stand to hear her cry like that!

Susie PSU said...

She won't use it forever - how many of us had college roommates that had a pacifier??
The sleep is well worth it. All kids have their issues. If the pacifier is your biggest one, hey, you're one lucky mommy!! :-)

Lisa said...

Awwww... good job mommy giving the paci back!!! At least it is something that you can wean from later... maybe when she has a brother or sister?! My Grace sucks 2 fingers... her middle and ring finger! Now how the heck am I suppose to take that away? I'm not even thinking about it yet.

Anonymous said...

When I was two my mom actually lost mine...and she had to tell me that I would have to go to bed without it. She says that after that I never wanted it again. Maybe if you wait until she's old enough to really talk with, it will be much easier!

Vicki said...

When Shane was a year and a half or so we went for our daily walk in the stroller and we also "lost" his pacie. He fussed a little about it, but he was old enough to understand what lost meant. Maybe it will work with Eleanor when she gets a little older.
Isn't mommiehood wonderful!!