Monday, May 5, 2008

Freecycle!

On Friday, a couple of moms from our new playgroup told me about something they've been partcipating in called "Freecycle." Basically, it's like Craig's List, but everything is FREE! It has to be completely free or you can't post it. People post stuff that they're trying to get rid of, you e-mail them and tell them you want it, and then you go pick it up. Did I mention it's free??

So, on Saturday, I saw a post to come pick up leftovers from a garage sale. Within minutes, I was there. (Just a mention of the word free really gets me going!) I tried not to be greedy, but the people were practically throwing stuff at me! Here's what I came away with...for F-R-E-E!

(There are two Leap Frog Learning Pads...they insisted I take them both incase one didn't work!)

So, you have to sign up to Freecycle in your area. It's really a great way to reuse other people's stuff instead of buying brand new, and get rid of stuff, knowing that it's going to someone that really wants it. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before!!
Here's what you need to do:
1. Go here.
2. Type where you live in the box. (You might want to use the name of the closest larger town if you live in a small town. That's what I had to do.)
3. Click on the area you're looking for. Then click the link to view that area's webpage.
4. Click the blue "Join Now" button in the top right hand corner. (If you don't have a Yahoo ID, at this point, you'll have to create one, I think.)
5. I think once you get to this point, the different areas might have different procedures, but it will be very obvious what to do.
Once you're signed up, you're ready to post to your group. There are four types of posts: OFFER (you're giving something away), TAKEN (when the thing you're giving away gets picked up), WANTED (gimme!), and RECEIVED (Yay! I got it!)
Seriously, DO IT! You HAVE to! And just a preemptive strike at some of your excuses...they DO have it in Longview/Gilmer, and Houston and Dallas (of course), and College Station. Also, in locations in Ohio, Missouri, Indiana, and West VA (although, I had to click a bunch to find those, Kim.) I know that doesn't cover everyone of you guys...I'm just sayin'...

5 comments:

GG said...

That Freecycle sounds just what I'm looking for. I have to get rid of tons of a lot of things left over after we've moved! Thanks! It looks like Eleanor was the one that hit the jackpot!!!!!!!!!!

starfitch said...

Holy camoly...mine has between 3000-4000 messages a month! Too bad they don't categorize to make it easier to search...

Megan said...

I should have said this originally...you should sign up for the "digest" under your setttings. That way, you'll get an e-mail every few hours with a list of items...it's very easy to read.

Shana-Lynn said...

Wow, I have never heard of this. I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up on this. Eleanor did make out great with your finds.

Angela said...

I LOVE freecycle!! I have gotten rid of sooo much stuff and picked up a few cool thing...like the dresser in the baby's room. :)