Wednesday, June 6, 2007

OUR FIRST HOUSE!!

So, this is the big news...we bought a house! Our first house. After being married for seven years, and living in five different apartments, we finally have our own little place on the map. Praise God!!

Here it is...

Here's a little info about our new casa...

It is located in Hamilton, VA, which Jared has deemed "Mayberry." If you go to the website, there are pictures of the newly-rebuilt park, which happens to be adjacent to our back yard. When Eleanor is bigger, she can just jump over our fence, and go play. The house has 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. The bedrooms and the two full bathrooms are on the main level, along with a living room, and, of course, the kitchen and dining room. It also has a fully finished walk-out basement, which is apparently very important to people around here. (I am clueless in this department, as no one in Texas has a basement.) The basement has five rooms- a laundry room, half bathroom, and three other miscellaneous rooms. We will probably use the biggest room in the basement as a family/playroom. There are two fireplaces- one on the main level and one in the basement. Also, you can't see it in the picture, but there is a big screened-in porch on the right side of the house.

Structurally, the house is great. Cosmetically, it is stuck in 1976, when it was built. I affectionately refer to the kitchen as "That 70's kitchen." That is why there are no pictures of the inside. I'm waiting for the fabulous before and after shots that I know are waiting in our future. At least our Christmas lists will be easy for the next few years- Home Depot gift cards, please! Now, you may be saying to yourself, "WHY would they buy a 1976 fixer-upper for their first house?" I would like to answer that with a sample listing from our area...(THIS IS NOT OUR HOUSE)...


This house costs $289,900. And they're serious.


But I digress.

We're so excited about our big purchase. The closing date is June 28th, and we don't have to be out of our apartment until July 26th, which gives us almost a whole month to get that awesome wallpaper torn down, walls painted, and floors redone. We've been watching A LOT of DIY Network, Discovery Home, and TLC for pointers on our various projects. We make Eleanor watch it too. Hey, everyone has to do their part if we're going to get this place whipped into shape!

11 comments:

starfitch said...

Congratulations! Home ownership is wonderful and challenging. My husband loves Ask This Old House so add that to your DVR for tips.

Robin said...

Congratulations on the house! How fun and exciting! So sad you'll be moving away though :(

Who will I borrow rotel from when I'm out?

Kristen said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! That's great. I think the house looks lovely. After some work on the inside, I'm sure it will be perfect. Definately better than the other one you posted!

Congratulations! We'll all be looking forward to the before and after pictures!

Janice said...

Yay!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on the new home! Although there's something wrong with my computer because I can't see the pics on this post for some reason. I'll check back later for the pics. You and Jared are going to have so much fun decorating your home! And how cool is that that you guys have a park right behind you!

You are REALLY good at keeping us all in suspense by the way! I had totally no idea what the surprise was.

Janice said...

Ok, I just saw your house - it is beautiful!!!!! Much better than the second picture! I love the trees around it, and the bay window, too!

Denise said...

Praise the Lord!!!! LOVE the house! What a find!!!! :) Just think of all the fun Eleanor will have playing there! We are THRILLED for you guys!!!

Shana-Lynn said...

Yippee!! Very excited for you three. Can't wait until we see more pictures. Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It looks wonderful. Have fun making it your own.

Wendy said...

I KNEW IT! IF it wasn't a baby, the only other thing I could think of was a house! And a beautiful house you have!! You are sooo lucky! COngratualtions!!!! I am so excited and cannot wait for the day when we are proud home owners. I LOVE LOVE LOVE do it yourself stuff! YOu guys will have sooo much fun doing that. CONGRATS AGAIN! Can't wait to se more pics! YEah!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

You guys so deserve it! And it looks totally adorable. Can't wait to visit! Are you going to have a guest bedroom?

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

That's great news and fodder for more blogging. It's crazy the prices of things by you, imagine if poor Eleanor had to pay the mortgage, what would those little hands be doing then? YIKES! Glad to hear the news, I don't even know you and I was waiting with bated breath.