Monday, May 21, 2007

My little bookworm

"But how does Big Bird's tricycle go?"

"Mommy, WHAT?? Can't you see I'm reading?"

So, yet another trait she gets from her daddy...she loves her books. I, on the other hand, never read for pleasure because I have the attention span of a gnat. The last piece of literature I read was this month's issue of Parents magazine.

Seriously, Jared (and his mom and brother- you guys know it's true) thinks that an outing to a bookstore is entertainment. I don't know how many hours I've spent standing around pretending I'm really interested in looking at books, so as not to give myself away to the hordes of book-lovers in the store. I don't even want to think about what would happen to a non-reader, such as myself, who dared tread on the sacred ground at Barnes & Noble. I just don't get it...why do we have to go to the bookstore every time we go to the mall? One week isn't enough to time to write a new book- the books will be the same!

Recently, I have discovered that I can disguise myself much more easily at the magazine rack. That's where you can find the people who want to look smart by being at the bookstore, but don't actually care about perusing the shelves for hours. I can entertain myself for a good 15-20 minutes with a People magazine. I sometimes resort to going to Starbucks (even though I hate coffee) to kill a little more time. One extended trip to the bathroom, a couple of times up and down in the elevator, and there you have it, another fun day at the book store.

I should probably let Jared take Eleanor to the book store. He sets a much better example.

12 comments:

Robin said...

Actually, B&N is where I like to go when I'm bored. I go in there every time I go to the mall alone. You're just lucky I don't drag you in there with me when we go to the mall :)

Looking at photos in photography books would be a good way to pass the time while Jared looks around.

Janice said...

Ok, I don't think we can be blogging friends anymore since you don't like coffee or going to the bookstore! Just kidding ;-P !!

I have to say that that's the only thing John and I do for date night lately when we have babysitters since we don't stay out too long. I don't read the books at Barnes but I love reading the Tabloid mags.

I agree, I think Eleanor probably takes after her daddy - she looks so studious reading her little book!

Janice said...

Happy Anniversary too, by the way!!! Isn't May a great month?

:-)

starfitch said...

I do love books but I hate coffee. Starbucks has awesome hot chocolate though! I'm addicted to the tabloid websites like Perez, much quicker than waiting for the new US Weekly!

Shana-Lynn said...

Megan-I am soooooooo with you on the book thing! I thought I was the only one who "pretended" while in Barnes and Noble. Aubree totally takes after her dad, who reads everything and LOVES it. I have found the children's section much more entertaining lately than the magazine section. I think it is because I am running after Aubree who, like her dad, "reads" everything. Although I do enjoy reading to Aubree, I don't enjoy reading to myself, I think it is the attention thing.

Happy Anniversary!

Susie PSU said...

You make me laugh! I happen to LOVE the bookstore, and never looked at it from a different prospective. Interesting. I'll look for you by the magazines next time I have some time to myself!

Megan said...

Okay...I get it...all my friends are nerds. Just kidding!!!

I know I should like to read. I just don't. I used to think it was really funny that I taught kids how to read and that books were their best friends, when I don't even like reading.

I will probably never tell Eleanor that I don't like to read. We'll probably just go on family trips to the bookstore, and I'll fake it until she's old enough to hear the truth.

I DO like reading kids' books. And I like reading books to kids. Kids' books are just the right length for my attention span; although I do have to bookmark some of the longer ones like The Cat in the Hat. :)

Shana-Lynn said...

Megan, you crack me UP!

Vicki said...

A granddaughter after my heart. It puts a big smile on this librarian's face to see her enjoying a book like that.

Confession time...I didn't like to read at all as a child or young adult. I was probably in my early 30's when a friend got me hooked on Danielle Steel books. I realized then how much I enjoyed the "escape" time. It was good, cheap entertainment. So, there's still hope for you.

You are always such a trooper when we go to bookstores. Thanks for putting up with us bibliophiles. :)

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

You have such a knack for capturing your daughter's personality. What a delightful little girl! If you don't mind, could you tell me exactly what kind of camera you use? I'm curious. You obviously know what you are doing and have beautiful "material" but I'd love to know. I enjoy stopping by and seeing how you are mothering along!

Megan said...

Cindy- I have the Canon 20D. It's so awesome! Now, that I'm used to using it, I hate taking pictures with the little camera I carry in my diaper bag. The 20D was definitely a good purchase!

Lisa said...

I LOVE Barnes and Noble... I too could spend hours in there. Unfortunatly Gracie's attention span isn't but 10 minutes.