Saturday, December 15, 2007

How I ruined Christmas for someone else's kid

I feel absolutely horrible! I totally ruined some kid's Christmas this morning. Here's what happened...

This morning, I took Eleanor out for yet another Breakfast with Santa- our third in a row. They're very popular around here, and Eleanor seems to really enjoy herself. Anyway, she sits with Santa (whom I suspected was my neighbor Randy), takes a picture, yada-yada-yada...

We get to the breakfast portion of the Breakfast with Santa. There's a man sitting right down the table from us with his two sons. The boys are about 4 and 8. I say to the man, "Do you know who Santa is?" He sort of ignores me/brushes me off, and I say, "DO YOU KNOW WHO SANTA IS?" Then, it hit me. DOH! The poor guy just sort of shakes his head. The 8-year-old demands, "What does she mean, Daddy? Why did she ask you who Santa is?" So, much the same way a substitute fourth-grade teacher ruined my Christmas 17 years ago, I killed the dream for that poor little dude.

I absolutely feel lower than dirt. In 20 years, that kid is going to be telling his wife all about how some moronic lady at the Breakfast with Santa ruined his Christmas. Sigh.

And here is the ultra-lame picture of a picture from this morning. I really wanted to show you Eleanor's adorable dress (a gift from my friend Ashley) and she refused to let me take a picture of her once we got home. And see the big guy in the red suit? That may or may not be my neighbor Randy.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a keeper! How about Shutterfly? I love the precious dress and bow! As far as ruining Christmas for those 2 little boys - I don't think so!! If he's a thinking dad, he will know how to fix it! Don't beat yourself up over it too bad! We all have done things like that!!

starfitch said...

Haha! That is hilarious! I have a friend who in her family they don't participate in the whole Santa thing. Her daughter went to kindergarten and told the whole class there was no such thing as Santa Claus. Imagine being the mom of the kid who ruined Christmas for 20 kids in one fell swoop! :-)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it too much. Everybody (including little children) know that these guys at affairs like Santa breakfasts aren't the real Santa. They're just "helpers". The kid's dad should be able to think up an explanation without too much trouble. Love Eleanor in her beautiful new dress.

Wendy said...

Ya, don't worry about it. My dad dresses up as Santa each year. Julia knows it's my dad, but she still believes in Santa. She just figures its to make her ad the other kids happy on Christmas Day!

Anonymous said...

Ooops... I think we've all had those moments at one time or another. It just made the dad do a little quick thinking, which was good for him. I agree with nana, most kids know those guys are just Santa's "helpers". The real Santa is much too busy making toys right now to make appearances. The picture is adorable.