Thursday, December 13, 2007

How I know she's ours

I was originally going to make the title of this post "She is her daddy's daughter," but then I realized how much the story I'm going to tell really sounds like...well, okay....ME. Well, it sounds like both of us, thus "...she's OURS."

We had just finished reading "Tubby Time with Little Ernie" for the fourth time in two minutes. Eleanor said, "Ah-done," and immediately followed with a "Peeee" and a tummy rub, which unmistakably means "read the book again, please." Well, I didn't want to. There are only about 12 words in the whole book and I was tired of the lameness of a story without a plot.

So, I said, "No, Eleanor, we're not going to read this again. Let's do something else." She kept up the "Peeee" and tummy rubs until she knocked the book off the couch. She obviously wanted me to pick it up. I didn't want to. So, I grabbed another book. She began her tantrum. The screaming stopped once I opened the new book, "Happy Baby Colors." I thought she had become distracted and would be pleased to read the new book.

Most of the time when we read this book, she yells out the names of the colors she can say when we come to those pages, so that is what I expected her to do. It didn't happen quite that way. When we came to the page where she usually yells out "Weh-woooow", I looked at her with anticipation. She looked back at me with something that could not be described as anything other than utter contempt, shook her head defiantly from side to side and said, "No." She did the same for the next few colors.

Then we came to purple. I thought there was no way she would be able to resist purple. She loves that word. I looked at her. She looked at me. Her lips came together perfectly as if in preparation for the sound "puh"...she looked me dead in the eye, shook that curly little head, and said as plain as day, "No, Mama."

And so goes toddlerhood.


Here's a picture I took of us a few days ago. She looks mad, but she's just very intent on doing that thing where you strum your lip with your hand. It was very important to her at that moment.


9 comments:

starfitch said...

No, mama. Oh boy, you're in trouble. How do they become just-add-water toddlers?

Anonymous said...

I know her daddy about as well as anyone and it sounds exactly like him when he had something he liked to read.That was a really cute picture of you and Eleanor!

Lisa said...

WOW... this is the story of my life right now!

Grace has mastered toddlerhood better than any kiddo I know.

Has she thrown herself on the floor in public yet and started crying because she didn't get something she wanted? Well she will in all due time :) The best part is sometimes when Grace isn't behaving I will say "Do you want to go to time-out?" (like I should I ask her), but she will go and put herself there! I guess that isn't working then huh!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that does indeed sound like someone I know. Perhaps this could be classified as "payin' for your raisin'. Good times ahead.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I hate to say it, but it's probably just beginning. Her daddy's fit throwing lasted only from about 18 - 24 months. The fall down in the store screaming type anyway.
I had a limber little switch that I only used once or twice, then all I had to do was show it to him. I don't know if you can get away with that these days. Hopefully our little angel won't need it. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, thst was 18-24 months old. I don't want to scare you too bad. :)

Shana-Lynn said...

Amen to: "this is the story of my life right now." I hate to say it, but this is probably just the beginning to some difficult days ahead. Gotta love toddlerhood.

Laura P said...

that's hilarious! laughed out loud. little el-nor. . .cracks me up :) little stinker!

M said...

cute pic!
:)